E n v i r o n m e n t I s s i u e s a n d P o l i c i e s F i n a l E x a m S A M P L E Q u e s t i o n s
S . E . T o r l a k & M . D e m i r e l & p a g e |
1. ……FLORA…… is the plant life occurring in a particular region or time, generally the naturally occurring or
indigenous—native plant life.
2. ……FAUNA…… is all of the animal life of any particular region or time. The corresponding term for plants is ……FLORA….
3. Which of the following is not one of the forests’ benefits?
Answer:the benefits of forests are; they store carbon, aid in regulating the planetary climate, purify water and
mitigate natural hazards such as floods.
4. What is the date of International Day of Forests?
5. Turkish forests amount to nearly 22 mil ha. (2008) …%27………. of the country’s land area.
6. An ……Endemic species is one whose habitat is restricted to a particular area.
7. Turkey has some 737 known species of amphibians, birds, mammals and reptiles according to figures
from the World Conservation Monitoring Centre. Of these, 3.5% are ……endemic……., meaning they exist in no
other country, and 6.2% are …threatened
Answer: endemic & threatened
8. Environmental policy… is any [course of] action deliberately taken [or not taken] to manage human
activities with a view to prevent, reduce, or mitigate harmful effects on nature and natural resources, and
ensuring that man-made changes to the environment do not have harmful effects on humans.
9. Which of the following is one of the Environmental policies in terms of content?
Answer: The environmental policies in terms of content: Fundamentalist Environmental Policies, Environmental Policies aiming to resolve the problem(reduction of pollution and Efficient use of resources)
10. Which of the following is one of the Environmental policies in terms of method?
Answer: Environmental policies in terms of method: Restoring Policies (Allows the formation of pollution and treats the symptoms of pollution as a
problem of policy) and Preventative Policies (Sees as a problem of pollution occurring)
11. Which of the following is not one of the Approaches for Environmental Policy?
Answer: Approaches for Environmental Policies are regulation,participatory and market approach.
12. garret james hardin was an American ecologist who warned of the dangers of overpopulation. His exposition
of ……the tragedy of the commons… ., in a ……1968……. paper called attention to the damage that innocent
actions by individuals can inflict on the environment.
Answer:Garrett James Hardinà the tragedyof the commonsà1968
13. Which of the following is not one of the Hardin’s key assumptions and problem formulation?
Answer: Hardin’s key assumptions and problem formulation: The world is biophysically finite, Over-population is an example of the tragedy of the commons, The commons system for breeding must be abandoned (as it has been for
other resources), The problem is then to gain peoples consent to a system of coercion
14. Which of the following is not one of the Environmental Policy Tools?
Answer: Environmental policy tools are ; Regulatory, Participatory and market-based tools.
15. Which of the following is not one of the Regulatory Tools?
Answer:The regulatory tools are; Pollution Standards,Prohibitions and Penalties, Controls, Getting permission, Providing Information and Notification Obligation, Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)…….
16. Which of the following is not one of the Participatory Tools?
Answer: The participatory tools are ; Planning, Public Consultation, Policy Meetings, Right to Information,Judicial Participation, Voluntary Practices…..
17. Which of the following is not one of the Market-based Tools?
Answer:The market –based toolas are ; Generating Private Property on Environmental Values,Econonic Tools,Permit Trading
18. Which approach describes the nature, as a resource store and a waste pool?
Answer: Regulation Approach
19. Which is the followings false about Aarhus convention?
Answer:Some information about Aarhus convention is; The UNECE convention on access to information, Public Participation in Decision-making and Access to Justice in Environmental Matters, usually known as the aarhus convention was signed on June 25, 1998 in the Danish city of Aarhus . It entered into force on 30 October 2001. As of May 2013, it had been ratified by 45 states and the European Union. All of the ratifying states are in Europe and Central Asia. The EU has begun applying Aarhus-type principles in its legislation, notably the Water Framework Directive (Directive 2000/60/EC). Liechtenstein, Monaco, and Switzerland have signed the convention but have not ratified it. The Aarhus Convention grants the public rights regarding access to information, public participation and access to justice, in governmental decision-making processes on matters concerning the local, national and transboundary environment. It focuses on interactions between the public and public authorities.
20. Turkey has not signed ………espoo convention in 1991…. that full name is “Convention on Environmental Impact Assessment in a Transboundary Context”.
Answer:Espoo convention in 1991
21. Which method of the carbon trade is more effective?
Answer: Cap and trade is most effective
22. Which provision of The Constitution ‘1982 is directly about the environment?
Answer:in 1982 constitution provision 56.
23. Which of the following is not one of the Environmental law’s principles?
Answer: Everyone is responsible for the protection/improvement of the envionment
and prevention of pollution.The principle of sustainable development. Participatory principle.
Prevention principle.The polluter pays principle. The principle of objective responsibility.
Obtain information and the right to apply.Market-based mechanisms.Education for the environment.
24. Which is the followings false about Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)?
Answer:An environmental impact assessment (EIA) is an assessment of the possible positive or negative impacts that a proposed project may have on the environment, consisting of the environmental social and economic aspects.the procedure of EIA 1. Screening 2. Scoping 3. EIA Report 4. Consultations 5. Final Decision 6. Monitoring & Control and Turkish By Law on EIA since 1993 and still in force …
25. Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA)………… is widely recognized as a promising approachto take account of the environmental effects of policy, plans and programmes.
Answer: Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA)
26. Turkey has become a party to … United Nations Framework Convention on Climate
Change (UNFCC) ……… on May 24 …2004 and to Kyoto Protocol on August 26, …2009
Answer: … United Nations Framework Convention on Climate
Change (UNFCC)à2004, Kyoto Protocol à 2009
27. Which energy market has the biggest ratio of the emission reduction in in Turkey?
Answer: Public Electricity %37
28. Deforestation. and forest degradation threaten watersheds, erode soil and destroy invaluable habitats for flora and fauna.
29. What is the perspective of Regulation approach?
30. What is the perspective of Participatory Approach?
Answer:Pluralist and Participation
31. What is the perspective of Market Approach?
32. What is the main actor of Regulation approach?
33. What is the main actor of Participatory Approach?
34. What is the main actor of Market Approach?
35. “A finite world can support only a finite population; therefore, population growth must eventually equal zero.” said by …Garrett hardin
36. ………%20………….. of the world’s population consumes % 80 of its resources.(HOME)
37. Every years 13 millions hectares of forest disappear.(HOME).
Answer: Every years*
38. Species are dying out a rhythm 1000 times faster than the natural rate.(HOME)
39. The average temperature of the ……last 15 year have been the …highest… ever recorded.(HOME).
Answer: Last 15 year à Highest*
40. The icecaps is …%40……….. thinner than …40…….. years ago.(HOME)
41. There may be at least 200 million ……Climate refugees…. by 2050.(HOME)
Answer: Climate refugees*
42. … Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) extends the aims and principles of … Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) to the
higher levels of decision-making when major alternatives are still open and there is far greater scope
than at the project level to integrate environmental considerations into development goals and objectives.
Answer: SEA à EIA
43. When happened the last reform about Institutional structure of environmental management in Turkey?
44. Hardin focused on …human population growth the use of the Earths natural
resources, and the…welfare state
Answer: human population growthàEarth’s natural
45. What is the industry’s ratio of the emission reduction in in Turkey?
46. Policy Meetings is a …… Participatory Tools. in environmental policy tools.
Answer: Participatory Tools
47. Which of the environmental policies see as a problem of pollution occurring?
Answer: Regulatory Tools
48. Some of…Endemic Species … have become national, or regional, emblems.
Answer: Endemic Species
49. Which of the following iseı not one of the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Procedure in Turkey?
Answer:The procedure of EIA ; Screening,Scoping,EIA Report,Consultations,Final Decision, Monitoring & Control.
50. What is the name of the endemic plant that occurs in Antalya, Denizli and Muğla?
Answer:Kalkan çiğdemi (Crocus mathewiii)
Ps: Filmle ilgili soruları http://tapdancingfingers.wordpress.com/2012/11/16/home-a-summary-of-the-documentary/ linkinden girip kontrol edebilirsiniz. Herkese başarılar …